It was noted that the original ending, showing a person at the end of all the POV footage broke the illusion of the viewer being on the journey. I felt it still needed a quick shot to break away from the logo resolve and hint that the journey would continue so I chose another beach shot of the horizon, looking over the driftwood fence. The fade to black using animated levels to crush the blacks until the light disappears in the sky worked using the same adjustment layers from the original shot so I just replaced the clip and rerendered.
One shot in the video was much more difficult to composite due to the lighting but I like the light and how it creates a natural transition so I've tried to go back and tweak the contrast and colour to help it sit in the scene a little better.
Pushing the blacks gives it a bit more texture and darkens the face that the light isn;t hitting, I've also added a slight glowy light around the right edge and added some green into the shadow so that doesn't jar as much.
While shooting video I took location photography, there are more environments to use for print than video as there are a number of billboards and posters needed.
My original idea was to use a full bleed frame mirroring the video and allow the audience to walk through the 'journey' and reveal all the locations but I think by adding 2 environments into the adshels they become more understandable as images without the need for copy.
I will experiment with the layout for the 48sheets as the length may lend itself to more of a 'storyboard' and include a number of photographs per billboard perhaps becoming a more solid link between the adshell pairs of images and the motion design.
The Carhartt logo will be treated and composited within the photographs like in the motion design work:
I am about to track the shots so I can start compositing the final edit and make sure the motion aspect is out the way then I can render the stills for the print work and produce them quickly.
Purple boxes show deformers - twist and bend. Can add as many into geometry as needed to bend into gnarled shapes and add random shapes from duplicate models.
Old Wood textures photoshopped and duplicated with greyscale bump/displacement maps
Created material for each image with 3D depth displacement maps
Driftwood ready for building 'beach sculpture'. All deformable and editable - swap materials with shapes, scale, stretch & squash to add randomness and sell the shot
This is a wireframe image of a branch from turbosquid.com. I will start by modelling a few of this style of stick but fairly straight, then they can be bent into shape to suit the logo, resized, rotated, tweaked etc.
The most striking element of the sand dunes and beach where I shot the footage and photos at formby was the endless fences surrounding and cutting through the landscape made out of old wood and held together loosely with wire.
I think this would be a great starting point for the treatment of the logo in these shots, rather than just texture the logo like the tree in the forest scenes I want to try 'making' the logo out of driftwood and sticks in 3D. If I had time it would be nice to physically make a model and shoot a greenscreen minature and composite that but this will give a chance to experiment with some simple modelling in Cinema 4D which I don't do as much of and should give another interesting element rather than extruding the logo.